Practice Education Commendations
The Queensland Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Collaborative commenced the Practice Education Commendation program in 2007-2008. This initiative acknowledges the important contribution Occupational Therapists make in the practice education of occupational therapy students during undergraduate and post-graduate university placements.
Nominations for the award are sought from graduating students from all Queensland universities offering an Occupational Therapy program and to date nominations have been received from both The University of Queensland and James Cook University. It is anticipated that nominations will also be received from graduating students at the University of the Sunshine Coast and Southern Cross University as initial student cohorts from these new programs graduate.
Students are asked to nominate one or more practice educators who have made a significant impact on their development as occupational therapists during their placements. Commendation recipients demonstrate exemplary practice in facilitating the learning of occupational therapy students during practice placements and have demonstrated advanced skills in the provision of quality learning experiences within the practice learning area. This might include:
- Ability to share knowledge and experience in ways that facilitate student learning
- Appropriateness as a role model to others, including students
- Ability to promote the student's identity as an occupational therapist
- Valuing and respecting student contributions
- Effective orientation to the workplace
- Optimised use of available physical and social resources within the limits of the workplace
- Demonstrated energy and enthusiasm for his/her work
- Provision of effective supervision and support
- Provision of opportunities for students to engage in reflective practice
- Effective communication with students throughout the duration of the placement
Recipients receive a Certificate of Commendation endorsed by the QOTFC. To date the QOTFC has presented 176 Practice Education Commendation Awards. The awards have been presented at the Brisbane and Townsville New Graduates Welcome functions for those nominated by UQ students and James Cook students.
The Practice Education Commendation recipients are:
We again congratulate these occupational therapists on receiving this award and thank you for your enthusiasm and support of the practice education of future occupational therapists.
PE Commendations Presentation - Cairns, 2012
See the detailed Presentation.