About the Clinical Educator's Resource KitThis module contains detailed and comprehensive information covering topics such as pre-placement considerations for student clinical education; setting up and sustaining positive student clinical placements; approaches to clinical education; the feedback process and evaluation; and, working with students who are experiencing difficulty. A range of reference documents, worksheets and resource templates are available as links in this module and provide valuable resources to support the clinical education of occupational therapy students.
Part One: Pre-placement Considerations for Student SupervisionThis section is for the occupational therapy practitioner who has made an expression of interest regarding the possibility of educating a student on placement and who is a) as yet undecided regarding readiness/ability to take on a student and/or b) new to the clinical educator role and seeking support.
It contains preliminary reading material including templates, fact sheets, and worksheets to provide food for thought in:
- exploring the benefits of having a student on placement at your facility
- considering your readiness to offer a student clinical placement
- identifying what it is you need to do in order to set-up and effectively implement a positive student clinical experience.
Part Two: Setting up and sustaining a positive student clinical placementThis section is for the occupational therapy practitioner who has indicated willingness to provide a student placement.
It contains a step-by-step guide to setting up a successful student placement. Includes information, ideas, templates and worksheets designed to provide you with ideas, tools and guidance for setting up a student placement and getting started.
Section One : Setting up for a student placement
- informing the clinical educator of training and resources available
- preparing a positive human and physical clinical learning environment
- developing meaningful orientation resources and materials
Section Two: Getting Started
- formulating a comprehensive student orientation and clinical timetable
- clarifying your expectations to the student
- planning and providing meaningful student learning opportunities.
Part Three: Approaches to Clinical EducationThis section includes information, discussions, tools and suggestions to:
- provide introduction to Adult Learning Theory and the principles of adult learning and increase clinical educator awareness of related references and resource.
- equip the clinical educator with ideas and strategies for facilitating student learning by applying adult learning principles
- draw attention to the differing learning styles of students and to encourage consideration to the unique learning styles of students and consequently to clinical educator teaching styles
- provide guidance regarding the content of clinical supervision sessions and useful tools to enhance reflective practice and self-directed learning.
Part Four: The Feedback Process and EvaluationThis section includes information, discussions, tools and suggestions to:
- increase clinical educator awareness of, and attention to, the characteristics of constructive feedback when supervising students
- equip the clinical educator with practical strategies and tools for encouraging reflective practice and self-evaluation
- provide overview of the evaluation process and direct the clinical educator to relevant resources and supports.
- encourage the practice of evidence-based evaluation.